Hello World!!! My name is JoAnna Johnson, affectionately known as The Soul Stringer. I have been a violinist for more than 30 years playing classical music in the Detroit area. However, about 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with several Auto-Immune diseases including, Lupus SLE, Sjogren's Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Raynauds, and a rare Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.
Needless to say, living with a chronic disease has been extremely challenging for me physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially. My life as I knew it dramatically changed and was not ever going to be the same. I thought I would lose the one thing I loved more than anything in this world. My love for music. And why not? I had already loss everything else including a level of independence I had come to enjoy as an important part of who I was as a person.
My life has been a life filled with pain and fatigue on a daily basis due to chronic migraines along with arthritic, neurological and muscular pain; however, I have been a violinist for most of my life. The violin was my first love, and that flame has never lost its spark. Although, due to significant changes in my bones and muscles, problems with my central nervous system from chemotherapy and other treatments, I am not able to play quite like I used to. BUT, I am still able to play and I play with a vibe that touches the soul. It is very painful to do, but many are encouraged by my efforts. This brings me to the reasons why I do what I do. So many people have dreams and aspirations that never get fulfilled. Most people would say, “You’re sick, maybe you should just try to do something else. Or maybe you should just give up your dream and find something else to do.” Ummm….NO!. I was born with music in my heart. We all were. Everything in life has a pulse or a rhythm. I’m sick…but I’m not dead. It took me many years, but I finally got to the point mentally where I was ready to stand up and fight!
Even with great health, many are often overwhelmed with the strenuous process to making dreams come true. And in the music industry, stress and rejection go hand in hand. So many people have dreams and aspirations that never get fulfilled. I want to use my talent as a voice to say, "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO!"
What We Need & What You Get
This is where you come in. I need your help. Just like starting up any business, there is a huge investment that must be made. Most people have NO clue of the cost to being a recording artist. There is the need for quality equipment, which is essential for the best sound. There are recording expenses which entail a lot more than just pressing the old record button on a tape deck, and very likely will entail a number of hours in a reputable recording studio. There are also the costs associated with the preparation for manufacturing and duplication of the product, and lastly promotions. These numbers can range well into the thousands of dollars. And please don’t forget the expense of paying instrumentalist to do the individual parts on each song. Several songs on a project can make these numbers rise quite significantly. This can absolutely be a costly endeavor.
So I need your help. I can only do this if I can raise enough money to pay all the expenses associated with recording and adequately promoting this project.
*Thank you to all who have donated thus far. Please continue to share this effort in your personal networks.
1. Having multiple health issues not only presents physical challenges for me, but my inability to work creates great financial challenges for me as well. However, the need to educate people about various auto-immune diseases is still there. I know that I can do a great service in this arena. I would very much love to use my talents to encourage others to not only live their dreams, but to prove that no matter what your challenges are in life, you can make a difference in this world.
2. By attempting to be a recording artist, I can reach millions of people all over the world. Auto-Immune diseases like Lupus affect more than 5 million people worldwide. Music has a way of leveling the language barrier. It touches the soul and encourages people in ways unimaginable My success can serve as a source of hope and encouragement for so many.
3. This illness does not discriminate, and neither do I. So I am on a journey to bring peace and hope to many and taking you with me on the ride. By helping to fund my project, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you have aided in the educating of many about a disease that continues to take the lives of thousands of people every day. You will also personally share in the promoting and motivating of dreamers all over the world while helping them to accomplish their dreams.
4. Once the recording is finished, I will donate part of the proceeds to help The Lupus Foundation of America to educate and raise both awareness and much needed funds to aid in Lupus research and hopefully find a cure. I will donate a portion of every CD to this foundation. With your help, I can complete a project that would not only legitimize me as a recording artist, but would allow me to become a 501C(3) foundation that would tour various areas to do fundraiser shows everywhere, both in and out of the country raising money for local Auto-Immune Related Organizations.
Jazzin 4 Lupus is coming to a city near you!!!!
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t help:
- Please share the campaign with any and everyone that you think can appreciate my efforts, be encouraged by my pain, and might possibly be willing to help in my endeavors.
- Please use the share tools on this page to easily share this campaign to others throughout various social media outlets!
- Remember that it takes a village. If all of you pitch in with small amounts, your donation can still make an impact. So donate small, and get 5 of your friends to do the same. Ex:Donate $10.00 and receive a digital download and tell 5 of your friends to do the same. That's $60.00!
And that’s all there is to it. I'm counting on you! So please help me to help others by donating and sharing today!!!!!
The Soul Stringer